I HATE the Way Wheatgrass Tastes
But I LOVE the way it makes me feel. I’ve been a wheatgrass juicer since my pregnancy in ’08, but I’ve been a drinker since ’07 when the Great Ali introduced me. It’s been quite a journey, noting that this stuff has a profound effect on my health and energy levels.
I first tried it as part of a raw cleanse that I did one summer. I had started the summer off with a lot of herbal teas for cleansing, including SAGE, Dandelion, Dong Quai. I found my appetite decreased, and could only enjoy light, raw foods. It was crazy. At this point I had been vegetarian for 3 years and vegan for one. For the first time, I saw my body take over and crave/desire only those things that were absolutely necessary for my health and cleansing. Wheatgrass was a natural addition to the cleanse and I was amazed by how much it sparked my energy.
Wheatgrass, along with carrot and green juices and raw fruits and nuts had me bouncing off the walls. But it was expensive. So during my pregnancy it became clear that I had to buy my own juicer rather than spend $5 a day on 2 oz at the store up the street that didn’t open until 10. Wheatgrass should be taken first thing in the AM on an empty stomach, so waiting from 6 am till 10 am to get that shot was not an option.
So with long bouts of juicing my own, and then introducing collard green and kale salads into my diet, I became heavily dependent on the stuff. With an under-active thyroid, I saw wheatgrass manage my metabolism, digestion, energy and so much more. When I don’t have it my skin is weird, energy is low, elimination is poor.
People like to make fun of me for “eating grass”, but I talk about this plant always because it has had such a profound effect on my health, for better. I highly recommend wheatgrass if you want to lose weight, increase energy or clear your skin/liver/colon. I could go on and on about the benefits or I could send you someplace for detailed science on the plant.
Basic Benefits of Wheatgrass Juice, from this site:
- 30mls of freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice is equivalent in nutritional value to 1kg of leafy green vegetables
- Wheatgrass contains over 90 minerals, including high concentrations of the most alkaline minerals: potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium
- It contains the essential enzymes: Protease (assists in protein digestion), Cytochrome Oxidase (a powerful anti oxidant), Amylase (facilitates digestion), Lipase (a fat splitting enzyme), Transhydrogenase (strengthens the heart muscle) & Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) (found in all body cells and is known for its ability to lessen the effect of radiation and slow cellular aging)
- Just one teaspoon of Wheat Grass powder, weighing a mere 3.5 grams, is nutritionally equal to an entire spinach salad weighing a full 50 grams – it packs a punch!
- Wheatgrass has more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots!
- Wheat grass juice helps your body to build red blood cells which carry oxygen to every cell. By increasing the oxygenation the body you can help offset smog and carbon monoxide and increase your endurance during physical exercise
- It also contains 19 amino acids, the building blocks of protein